- Habitat Home
- About Us
- Our Work
- About Habitat
- Funding Opportunities
- Our Partners
- News & Multimedia
- Publications & Resources
Gulf of Mexico Coast Conservation Corps Funding Program
The coastal habitats of the Gulf of Mexico were negatively impacted by the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. Beaches, marshes, oyster reefs, and other habitats were exposed to the oil, affecting the plants and wildlife living in those areas. NOAA is committed to restoring these habitats following the spill. NOAA is announcing the availability of up to $7 million grant funding provided under the RESTORE Act to implement a “GulfCorps” program that will contribute to ecological restoration across the Gulf states.
Through this funding opportunity, NOAA is seeking applications from non-federal partners that will recruit, train, and employ workers to work on habitat restoration projects and develop skills in support of long-term Gulf coast restoration. The goal of the program is to provide labor support to projects listed on the RESTORE Act Funded Priorities Lists, projects funded through Deepwater Horizon oil spill settlements, and other funded federal or state projects.
Priority will be given to applicants that:
- Create synergy across existing groups and entities to establish a regional identity and network that would serve as the foundation of a persistent GulfCorps;
- Partner with training opportunities across the Gulf that will provide focused skill development in restoration techniques applicable to the objectives of this solicitation, and that may foster longer-termed career growth in conservation and restoration sectors;
- Achieve the goals of the GulfCorps Program as described in the RESTORE Act Funded Priorities List, such as allocating funding evenly across Gulf states;
- Prioritize funding towards GulfCorps participant training and labor that directly leads to on-the-ground habitat restoration; and
- Develop program sustainability through creating relationships and awareness of program benefits with the public, future potential GulfCorps participants, Council members, and local workforce centers or development boards.
Important Funding Notices
- Federal Funding Opportunity (pdf, 50 KB)
- Application on Grants.gov
- Application Checklist
- Applicant Resources
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Applications are due by March 2, 2017